Monday, September 17, 2012

Pico de Gallo



I tend to think of "pico" as having fresh tomatoes and hot sauce or picante as a cooked salsa using fire roasted or cooked tomatoes. At some Mexican restaurants in San Antonio, you will be offered both with your meal. When I saw some beautiful cherry tomatoes at a farmer's market, I knew exactly what to do with them. Make pico, of course! This is one of those sauces that gets better the longer it sits in the fridge.


Pico de Gallo

2 cups cherry tomatoes, washed, stems removed, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeds removed and finely chopped
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, washed and finely chopped
juice of half of a medium size lime
salt and pepper to taste
 
Combine all ingredients into a bowl. 
*OR add ingredients into a food processor and puree until chunky*


6 comments:

  1. Yum! I love pico + this version looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Amy! I like to make a big batch and keep it in the fridge for fajitas or whatever else I can think of:) Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man! This looks good. I agree, my homemade pico just gets better sitting in the fridge. You're an artist of a cook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think it tastes better after 1-2 days in the fridge. I appreciate you stopping by.

      Delete