Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Mixed Green Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing



Lately I've been on a Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Sugar Free meal plan. Diet is such an ugly word. I'm doing this more for health reasons and not to lose wight. Hey, if I happen to drop some pounds that is great. There are so many "detox" diets out there. The problem in my opinion is that if you detox for two weeks and then go back to eating pizza and hamburgers you are not really accomplishing anything. Eating healthy has to be a lifestyle change. It is time consuming and can be expensive. If you do not eat all the veggies in your fridge within a week then mostly likely they will go bad. Processed food last longer, is easy and cheap. The bad thing is processed food is not living food. It is not full of vitamins and minerals. I have to be honest, I cheat on my meal plan. Sometimes I want to have a burger or a slice of pie. If I cheat, it better be good, like an Angus burger or a pizza cooked on a wood burning stove. Ok, I'll get off my soapbox.


Mixed Green Salad:

I head of red leaf lettuce, washed and shredded
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons unsalted sunflower seeds
1/4 cup cherry tomatoes
1/2 avocado, sliced



Lemon Tahini Dressing:

1 tablespoon tahini
juice of 2 lemons
1 teaspoon thyme leaves
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil

 Mix ingredients together in a small bowl and drizzle over the salad. 



15 comments:

  1. When you feel like "cheating", I still want to come down to San Antonio to hang out with you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good:) I have a list of places in Austin on my cheat list including Easy Tiger.

      Delete
    2. Easy Tiger is one of my favorite places, just went again last week. :)

      Delete
  2. I was listening to a BBC podcast (The Food Programme) a few weeks ago, and one of the guests said exactly what you're saying, that processed food is essentially dead food. I was struck with that idea that you can either choose to eat living food or dead food, and more than anything it made me sad that there is even an option to eat dead, nutritionally void, and even harmful foods. I think the overall subject was preserved food, and the expert guests explained how, through preserving, you can actually keep foods living with beneficial bacteria, e.g. yogurt, pickles, kombucha, etc. Anyway, it made me want to redouble my efforts to eat well and to keep learning about food preservation.

    This salad looks great, and I just happen to have some tahini in the fridge, so thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary. Interesting podcast. I would love to hear it. I definitely want to learn how to make fermented foods ie kraut and kimchi. My Grandmother in Mississippi made her own Kraut in her basement. Looks like she was on to something:) Thanks for your comment. Always enjoy reading them.

      Delete
  3. this looks fantastic, especially that awesome dressing. eating more healthy, fresh, unprocessed + local is always a good thing in my mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy. I feel so much better when I eat healthy foods. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  4. Good luck with your meal plan...I've been thinking about doing something similar. Heck I've been off coffee for a month (it's killing me!) but I'm surviving. Thanks for the inspiration - your salad looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee. I really miss dairy and sugar. I substitute rice and potatoes if I'm craving gluten. No coffee for a month - I'm impressed. I need my caffeine in the morning. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  5. Steph, This is exactly what I needed to see while I am "detoxing" my body for a life change. I have been on strict veggies and fruit for 7 days. This salad looks delish and I look forward to trying the dressing. I think we all need to be sensible when it comes to healthy eating. We have common sense, we just need to apply it when we are cooking for ourselves. I too am dieting for health right now, not for weight but it takes awhile to get in the right mindset. Kuddos to you for embracing it. Beautiful salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think it takes commitment to try and eat healthy. I find myself going to the grocery store a ton more than the average person. I'm impressed with your dedication. I agree - we need to be sensible when it comes to how we eat. You inspire me:)

      Delete
  6. This looks amazing! I'm loving looking around your blog. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megan. I really appreciate your comment. I loved looking at your beautiful blog.

      Delete
  7. This looks fabulous, Steph! I'm finally slowing down some, so we NEED to lunch soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Just let me know when you are available. I haven't been to The Cove, maybe we can go there.

      Delete