Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Crab Cakes with Remoulade Sauce

Crab Cakes with  Remoulade Sauce served over a bed of Arugula.

When I asked my Mom what she wanted for Mother's Day she said my crab cake recipe. No Joke! I feel bad that I've been hesitant to share this recipe with her. There are two reasons I've been so reluctant. First of all, I hardly ever follow a recipe and although I have a general idea of how to make them, I don't have exact measurements. Secondly, it is kinda nice to finally have something I can make for her. A recipe that she actually has to ask me for. This post is for you Mom. Now you have my secret crab cake recipe. To the best of my knowledge...


Crab Cakes:

2 containers of 16 oz. lump fresh crab
1 small carrot, finely chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1/2 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
1 teaspoon dried dill
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco
2 egg whites
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
 clarified butter for frying


Directions:

Add all the ingredients together in a large bowl, mixing with your hands or a large spoon. Gently  scoop up the mixture and form into patties. I usually roll mine into a ball and then press them down into patties. If the mixture is not sticking together, add more mayo. If the mixture is too wet, add more panko breadcrumbs until the patties hold together. Coat the patties with Panko before frying.


In a large skillet, over medium heat, add clarified butter. When the butter is hot, add patties, spacing them evenly in the pan. When the patties have turned golden brown on one side, flip them and continue to cook them. This should only take a couple of minutes, depending on how hot your skillet is. 

Place patties on a large plate lined with paper towels. 


Remoulade Sauce:

1 cup mayonnaise
4 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon grainy mustard
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce 
2 tablespoons chives, chopped
1 tablespoon capers 
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in a together in a bowl. 


Enjoy!




36 comments:

  1. aww, too sweet. these look wonderful + i'm glad you shared your recipe with your mom + the rest of us! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. The secret is now out! I have a feeling I'll be making these on Sunday:)

      Delete
  2. One of my all time favs-Beautiful Pic too. Made me wonder what my Mom's favorite dish was of mine. I may have to go ask her :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks! That is a trick question since you are a fabulous cook. It would be hard to pick just one:)

      Delete
  3. Great recipe! And I love that it's for your mom! My mom is also a great cook and we swap recipes all the time. I am going to try these for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy. She loves crab cakes! My Mother is a fantastic cook. I think everyone in my family "borrows" her recipes:)

      Delete
  4. Steph, Thank you for the crab cake recipe. I'm so looking forward to eating them on Mother's Day. You are a wonderful cook and daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mom! I learned how to cook from the best:) Thank you for being a wonderful mother. Love U!

      Delete
  5. Yum...I adore crabcakes, but only rarely make them at home. I need to try your recipe soon! Can't wait to see you at LM tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were pretty simple to make. I try to prep everything before hand to save time. See ya soon:)

      Delete
  6. Sweet Mama these crab cakes look gooood! Love the mom/daughter bond - I'm taking mine out for brunch and antique hunting this weekend...thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Renee. Sounds like you have a wonderful Mother's Day planned.

      Delete
  7. Your mother made an excellent selection- these crab cakes look divine! And aren't you a sweet daughter to make them for her. I'm sure they'll be delicious, no matter how improvised. The best cooks I know never follow a recipe. So unlike us bakers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelley - I love crab cakes as well so it's a win-win. I've come a long way from making open face sandwiches:) I'm definitely one of those "Doesn't follow directions" type of person. Probably explains my difficulty baking.

      Delete
  8. My favorite restaurant in my hometown is called Soby's. They change their menu with the seasons, with one exception: their crab cakes with remoulade sauce. That one dish is why they are my fave spot downtown. I've never ordered anything else on the menu because they are that good. And I've never had remoulade sauce anywhere else. to say I'm THRILLED about this recipe is an understatement! You can bet your britches I will be making these this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ally - I just got a huge smile after reading your comment. I hope they turn out great for you.

      Delete
  9. Oh my! My mouth is watering. I do love crab cakes and this recipe looks pretty easy. My daughters are cooking lunch for me Sunday. Maybe I should pass this recipe along to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are delicious, but the remoulade sauce puts them over the top. Happy Mother's Day to you! Hope you have a great Sunday:)

      Delete
  10. Steph...it was such a pleasure meeting you tonight! Of all the people, I enjoyed meeting you the most! I really hope to see you again sometime. Keep me posted on your idea of bringing foodies together to make a difference. Oh, and here's the initial website I mentioned. www.mosaicsa.wordpress.com . Greetings to your husband. Would love to share a Sierra Nevada with him someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a pleasure meeting you. Great to be able to put a face with your name:) Congrats to you on your new happenings. I would love to get "SA Foodies Unite" up and running. Thank you for the link. Please stay in touch. My email is steph-kw@satx.rr.com.

      Delete
  11. Your crab cakes sound amazing!! Great photography.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look delicious. Thank you for sharing your recipe.

    Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I have to make these. Crab cakes are my husband's favorite! And it'll give me a chance to make remoulade, which I've never done before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are really good. I just updated the Remoulade Sauce recipe. I forgot the Worcestershire sauce. Let me know how they turn out.

      Delete
  14. Looks great! Thanks for sharing. : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't made crab cakes in forever! Yours sound really tasty. My husband's birthday is coming up. They would be a nice treat for him. I've been making salmon cakes lately. Amazingly, my son (who tends to be a bit picky) loves them! Homemade mac and cheese has been the side...lots of good comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Salmon cakes but haven't made them in a while. I just made the crab cakes for Mother's Day and my mom loved them:) Mac and cheese is always a great side.

      Delete
  16. Yum! I love crab cakes, esspecially ones that others are dying for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh joy of joys! Steph, I am going to make a big ole batch of these, ALL FOR MYSELF! It's been a tough few days and this is going to be soul food for me. Thank you so much for sharing your secret recipe. (Austin Food Bloggers are going to be in San Antonio on Saturday for a field trip to Pearl Market, Culinary Institute, and a tapas tasting. Are you free?)

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look so yummy, just picked up a pound of lump blue yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica. The crab cakes on your blog look amazing!!

      Delete