The way I express my love and support for friends and family who are going through a difficult time is to cook for them. I've come to realize there are several important tips when planning a make ahead meal. Here are some things I have learned.
5 Tips for Make Ahead Meals:
- Ask about food allergies. Nothing worse than making a pasta salad for someone who has a gluten allergy.
- Ask what sounds appealing. Some people crave comfort foods while others might like a light soup and salad.
- Make sure the meal is easy to transport. For your sake, you don't want your casserole or large bowl of soup to end up on the floor board. Yes, this has happened to me.
- Make a meal that is easy to freeze. They might not have an appetite for a large casserole at the moment. This way they can always stick it in the freezer and eat it later.
- Cook something that will go a long way. This will provide for a large family meal. It also can be shared with neighbors or friends who might drop by.
What are some of your favorite make ahead meals?