Sunday, November 18, 2012

Recommended Reading



Top picks of books for the foodies in the family:




This is a must read for any aspiring chefs. Bourdain writes like he talks and his attitude is definitely reflected in this book. He gives the reader a look at what really goes on behind the scenes of a gourmet restaurant.


I just finished reading this book. I have to admit I had tears rolling down my face during parts of it.  Grant Achatz is a brilliant, game changing Chef. This guy is tough as nails and in my book, superhuman. Truly an inspiring book of someone with passion and dedication.




If you know someone that is dealing with a illness, please go buy this book and give it to them. Kris Carr, who is also the author of "Crazy, Sexy, Cancer", empowers her audience and gives them the tools to use food in a healthy way.

10 comments:

  1. Excellent book suggestions! It's been ages since i've read Kitchen Confidential - I need to read that again soon. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. Kitchen Confidential is one of those books you can't put down. I'm pretty sure I gave my book to someone after telling them they had to read it.

      Delete
  2. Love your choices I had not heard of Kris Carr's books so I am certainly going to check them out. Steph, I'm wishing you a very blessed Thanksgiving. It's been a blessing getting to know you this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You would love Kris Carr's books. She stresses the importance of clean eating. Something that is great for everyone. Hope you have a fantastic Thanksgiving. I'm sure there will be some wonderful food at your house:) It has been a blessing getting to know you. Please give me a ring if you are ever in SA. Happy Thanksgiving to your family!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful recs! I read Kitchen Confidential way back when and nearly died laughing along the way. I should get my copy out and re-read it. And I've been meaning to pick up Grant's book. I've heard it's a great read from so many people and now from you too. Hope you and your family had a terrific Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelley. In Grant's book, you see his perseverance as a chef as well as a human being. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving as well.

      Delete
  4. Kitchen Confidential, oddly enough, was the book that got me reading all the others. Without it, I'd never have read MFK Fisher, Steingarten, Laurie Colwin, Child, Pepin, or any of the others by whom I've been influenced. I haven't read the others, but now I'm on a mission! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree more with your selection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really chic finds, love the suggestions definitely checking them out. Got my eye on your next posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life on the Line really stood out to me, and I went to Amazon to read more about it. I usually just cook to satisfy my husband - if it weren't for him, I would never cook again ;) - but this book is one I think I would be very interested in reading. His passion, his drive, and his interruption in the form of cancer is something that I think I could learn a lot from reading about. Thanks for calling this book to my attention.

    ReplyDelete