Thursday, October 4, 2012

Salisbury Steak with Mushroom gravy





 Ahh.....yes. The TV dinner redo. Full disclosure - My past experience with this dish was courtesy of Miss Swanson. The only reason I was probably warming this TV dinner up at all was to dig into the dessert. I like to think as an adult my palate is more refined. I prefer homemade comfort food as opposed to popping my dinner into the microwave and listening for the peep, peep, peep. If you have never had this homemade before, you are in for a treat. It does bring back childhood memories and I'm assuming it reheats well if you have leftovers. That is a big "IF".


*This recipe was adapted from Simple Quintessential Cuisine


Salisbury Steak with Mushroom gravy

1 1/2lbs ground beef
1 large onion (mince 1/3 and slice the rest)
5 finely minced garlic cloves
3 eggs
1 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
1 tsp steak seasoning 
1 ½ tsp kosher salt
¾ tsp pepper 
4 C beef broth
2 C sliced mushrooms
3 tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 C dry red wine 

3 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil



Directions:


In a medium sauce pan bring beef broth to a slow simmer and add mushrooms; the purpose being to draw out the mushroom flavor into the broth.  While that’s occurring place a large frying pan or cast iron skillet over medium high heat and add olive oil and butter.


 In a large mixing bowl, mix together beef, minced onion, 1 tablespoon of the minced garlic, steak seasoing, eggs, bread crumbs, salt and pepper.
 
 Form the beef mixture into large patties and then place into the pan.  Sear the patties well on both sides and then remove from the pan and place into a large casserole.

In the same pan add another 1 ½  tablespoons of butter and olive oil and then add sliced onions and remaining garlic and sauté for 3-4 minutes.  

 Add in the flour, stirring for an additional minute, then pour in the red wine while you continue to stir.  Next pour in the mushroom broth continuing to stir until thickened. 


Pour sauce over the patties.  Cover the casserole with tin foil and bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.

Enjoy! 

13 comments:

  1. This was one of my husband's favorite childhood meals (homemade by his mom) but i've never tried it in my life. I have to say - it looks great! May have to surprise him with his for his upcoming birthday week in November!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy. I'm sure if I had it homemade as a child it would be one of my favorite childhood meals as well. Let me know how you like it. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. I love the new design!!
    Salisbury Steak was always the TV Dinner I chose as a child, when my father was traveling, and Mom wanted nothing more than to chill in front of the tube. This much-better version will be on my list of must-try comfort foods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maggie. My blog was due for a remodel:) Salisbury Steak was my TV dinner of choice as a child. My husband and I try to pick one new dish to try every weekend. It was his idea to try this. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  3. Mmmmm. This sounds good. Perfect for this weekend. The temps are going to be chilly! Well, chilly or us anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this weather! Perfect for making all my favorite fall dishes and working in the garden:) I appreciate you stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Loving the new layout. And thank you for bringing back the memories of peeling the foil back on those dinners. They were actually only a special treat when my parents went on a dinner date and left us with the sitters. Of course this was way before microwaves, and I'm with you the apple cobbler dessert was worth it. I use to make the "real" salisbury steak for the hubs in our early years of marriage. Now that I am re-inspired by your post I may have to surprise him with this dish when he gets home from his long business trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh, I popped my TV dinners in the oven to cook as well. It wasn't until college did I microwave them. I also loved Swanson's chicken pot pies. Hope your hubby enjoys it. Sounds like the perfect comfort food after a long week.

      Delete
  5. I cannot wait to try this. Perfect for Autumn, and my husband is going to be thrilled. Also, I loved those dinners when I was a kid! Nothing like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, It is definitely a hearty meal. I like to think of it as a dressed up hamburger patty. My husband did not like the idea of red wine in a Salisbury steak recipe.... until he tried it! Ha:) Hope all is well with you.

      Delete
  6. Ha! I think we all ate the frozen Salisbury Steak meal as a kid. I remember it fondly, too. We still make old childhood favorites in our house as well and I agree- it's much better when it's made from scratch and not out of a box. Except for Old El Paso tacos- we still buy the box mix when we get a craving. Not sure we can improve on OEP :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The "steaks" themselves were tasty (heavily altered with additional seasonings). My steaks held their shape quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Rachel! Glad you the recipe worked out for you:)

    ReplyDelete